Translate

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Science Fiction with a Twist, Author Travis McBee




I have a special treat for all the Sci-Fi lovers out there! Travis McBee, author of the Bridgeworld series graces the front page of my blog today. 





Could you tell us a bit about your self?

Well I’m twenty-two, live in the mountains, and I write books. Wait a second...does that sound cliché? Crap...


Your book Bridgeworld is original and well written, what was your inspiration?

The inspiration behind Bridgeworld came from a book I had read years before called “The Dark Side of Nowhere”. In that book, a boy found out that his small town was really populated by aliens disguised as humans, and he was one of them. I was musing over that book for some reason when I wondered what it would be like if the boy had been forced to integrate back into the alien society his parents were from. I wrote the prequel to Bridgeworld that very day, but it became what I like to call “sketchy” which is a word I use to describe things that get just a little too weird. I became disillusioned with it and shelved it.

A few months later I was tidying up my computer files when I ran across the prequel. The idea behind the story infatuated me again, but I still didn’t want to write a book that was inundated with weird names and strange looking creatures. Then it suddenly hit me: make the aliens human as well. I ‘m not prejudiced against books which do have strange creatures, but to me it would have lost the mystery and wonder of being able to relate to someone going through something as crazy as living on a different planet if he wasn’t human. From there the ideas started spreading like wildfire, including a history of why people ended up being in space. That history wasn’t mentioned until the second book, but I had achieved what I had aimed for, making the idea of the story completely possible under normal laws of nature.


Will there be a sequel to Bridgeworld?

Yes! I’ve already written the second book and it’s scheduled to be released in July. There will be four books in the entire series (unless I decide there should be more of course!)


What is your writing style like? Are you an organized writer or do you like to free write?



It depends on what I’m writing. For short stories I just go for it, but if I’m writing a novel I have to have a very intricate set of notes in front of me. I become distracted very easily so I need an outline to keep prodding me back onto course.





What kind of books do you read in your down time?



I read everything, and I mean everything. I read a lot of Stephen King and Dean Koontz, but I also read classical authors like Twain and Stoker. I’ve also read most of Nicholas Sparks books as well (to impress the ladies with my sensitive side of course!). If your going for genres, I hit all of them: sci-fi, fantasy, general fiction, romance, horror, mystery. I read young adult as well as adult books. I try to be well read.





Are you reading anything right now, and would you recommend it?



At the moment I’m reading “The Deadzone” by Stephen King. It’s been pretty good—not my favorite but not bad. It’s worth a read if you haven’t read it.  





Do you have any other projects in the works?



At the moment I’m writing a middle grade novel about a boy who uses a haunted house to get back at a bully.





What do you like best about being an author? What do you like the least?



I love talking to people about writing. Writers are passionate about what they do and it seems like that’s rare among people today. I love giving people tips and getting advice from others. It’s also the best feeling in the world when a stranger tells you that they really enjoyed your work. The worst part is the rejection. Men are terrified of rejection, but when you’re an author you get rejected dozens of times.





Any advice for those who wish to become an author?



Keep at it. It’s a lot of work to write a novel or even a quality short story. Don’t give up and never think that you’re good enough, always try to get better. But the biggest piece of advice is cliché but very very true: Don’t do it for the money—you probably won’t get rich—do it because you love it.


And Finally, is there anything else you would like to add?


Just to thank you for having me, it’s been a real pleasure!








 Author Bio: 





Travis McBee was born and raised just outside of Atlanta, Georgia. He is the younger of two children and enjoys backpacking, playing rugby, and watching football. He is the author of four novels: Bridgeworld, Bridgeworld: Encounter at Atlantis, Triton: Rise of the Fallen, and Triton: The Call of War. He is also the author of a children’s series: The Chronicles of a Second Grade Genius. He currently resides in Georgia.



Follow Travis On Twitter : twitter.com/travis_mcbee


and Don't Forget To Like Him on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BridgeworldAcademy


One of the most entertaining Interviews I've ever done! Hope you guys enjoyed it as much as I did! Until next time, may your Muse be at your side, and your writing the light that guides  you.  
Dawn.

No comments: